The original boundary of Bond County was a 26 mile wide strip that started just a few miles south of its current border and stretched all the way to Lake Superior in the present state of Wisconsin.
Bond was one of 11 original counties when Illinois applied for statehood in 1818. It was represented at the state's constitutional convention in the first capital of Kaskaskia by Thomas Kirkpatrick and Samuel G. Morse. The county seat was temporarily located at Hills Fort (just five miles west of Greenville), and soon moved to Perrysville, which was located along Hurricane Creek in present Fayette County.
In 1820 Illinois decided to move its capital to Vandalia. As a result, Fayette and Montgomery Counties were formed out of Bond in 1821. Since Perrysville would become part of Fayette, the new county seat for Bond was chosen at Greenville after George Davidson donated land for the building of a courthouse. Greenville is one of Illinois' oldest towns having been founded in 1815, and remains the county seat today.
Bond County Historical Society